**Eeyore:** “Pooh, I sometimes worry that I’m not a very good friend.”
**Pooh:** “Why would you think that, Eeyore?”
**Eeyore:** “I don’t always visit. I don’t always know what to say. Sometimes days go by and I disappear into my own little world.”
Pooh walked toward him, holding the umbrella over them both.
**Pooh:** “I don’t think friendship is measured by how often someone knocks on your door.”
**Eeyore:** “What is it measured by, then?”
**Pooh:** “By who comes looking for you when the rain begins.”
Eeyore glanced at the dark clouds.
**Eeyore:** “And if the rain lasts a very long time?”
**Pooh:** “Then a true friend stays a very long time.”
**Eeyore:** “Even if they can’t make the rain stop?”
**Pooh:** “Especially then. Friends aren’t always supposed to fix the storm, Eeyore. Sometimes they simply stand beside you and hold the umbrella.”
Eeyore looked at Pooh quietly.
**Eeyore:** “What if I haven’t spoken to them for a while?”
**Pooh:** “The right friend won’t count the quiet days. They’ll only notice that you needed them today.”
**Eeyore:** “So I don’t have to be there every single moment?”
**Pooh:** “No. You only have to mean it when you say, ‘When you really need me, I’ll come.’”
Eeyore stepped beneath the umbrella.
**Eeyore:** “Pooh?”
**Pooh:** “Yes, Eeyore?”
**Eeyore:** “Thank you for coming.”
Pooh smiled.
**Pooh:** “You never have to thank me for showing up, Eeyore. Sunny days are lovely for sharing adventures, but rainy days are when a friend should know exactly where to find you.”
— **A.A. Milne–inspired**

No comments:
Post a Comment